A basic campaign template is only available to merchants with Multiple Campaigns.
This article discusses the settings for a single basic campaign that has multiple touchpoints, requesting feedback at different stages in the customer's journey using the product. For details on configuring campaigns that offer multiple service feedback requests with multiple touchpoints too, take a look at Multiple Basic Campaigns.
Rather than focus on functionality, this article will look at an example retailer called My Car Lease, a car leasing company. My Car Lease currently has a default campaign which asks all customers to rate their experience at the start of the lease but it doesn't offer the customer any opportunity to provide feedback at other times. My Car Lease wants to send quarterly feedback requests to all customers giving them the opportunity to regularly update their original product feedback whilst giving My Car Lease the chance to update customers on issues relevant to their lease. A campaign can only ever send one service feedback request and as My Car Lease want to continue to request service feedback at the start of the lease, any further feedback requests can only be for the product.
The 'Basic Campaign' is provided as a generic campaign that can be customised to the needs of any industry or product so this would be a good starting point for My Car Lease.
- A basic campaign is created from the Campaigns interface by clicking +Create New Campaign.
- Choose Basic Campaign and then Continue.
- The Campaign 'Basic Campaign' - New Campaign form is displayed defaulting to the Campaign Setup tab.
- The campaign is given a name by editing the Campaign Name. The default name is Basic Campaign but for this example it is changed to 12 month lease.
- Before any campaign can start processing sales, it needs to have one or more triggers (the Default Campaign is an exception as it has a built-in trigger for all tags). A trigger determines when the campaign sends emails/SMS messages and is defined by one or more tag conditions. The tag conditions are checked against the sales tags associated with each sales line uploaded to Feefo and where the conditions match, the trigger becomes active and the campaign that the trigger is saved to will start sending review requests/reminders.
My Car Lease would need to supply their sales data to us with a tag 'key:value' pair added to each sales line. A full list of Feefo's predefined tags can be found in Sales and Product Tags. How tags are added or used is determined by the merchant as the tag keys do not have any special functionality of their own but it's a good idea to use tag keys that are intuitive, so, for this example, date has been chosen as the tag key, with values 'start', '3 months', '6 months', '9 months' and 'end'. As they are planning to send different communications for different leasing terms (12 months, 18 months and 24 months), they will need to define a custom campaign for each term and therefore identify the right campaign that the trigger is part of. In our example, the triggers would be part of the 12 month lease campaign and so all products would also need a tag 'key:value' pair of campaign:12 month lease. This would mean that each lease deal sold would have 5 lines in the sales file, similar to the following. Note that the feedback date for each line has been edited to support sending a new feedback request at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 month points within the lease.
- Each of these 5 feedback requests would need a trigger, the first trigger sending a feedback request immediately after the sale so it's been given a Trigger Name of Start of lease.
- Under Tag Conditions, select the tag key that would trigger the campaign. In this example it's campaign.
- Also under Tag Conditions, the tag value would need to be defined. The selection is made either from a list of previously used values or +Create New Tag Value is used to add one that hasn't been used before. In this example, a new tag value would be needed:
- Add the new tag value when prompted and click Create Tag. This example uses a key:value pair of 'campaign:12 month lease' and so the tag value would need to be 12 month lease.
- The new trigger is shown listed under the Campaign Conditions.
- If any errors are made when adding a tag condition, the whole tag condition can be deleted by clicking on the dustbin to the right of that tag condition and readded if needed.
- Although the trigger's been created, it's not saved to the campaign yet. Use Save Trigger to save the trigger or Cancel to discard the details for the new trigger.
- Once saved, My Car Lease would have a 'Start of lease' trigger of 'campaign IS 12 month lease' associated with the '12 month lease' campaign. This means that all sales lines with a 'campaign' tag of '12 month lease' would receive communications from this trigger.
- The trigger has so far only been configured to work with this campaign but as My Car Lease would like to gather feedback at the start of the lease and then after 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and at the end of the lease, they would also need to add a tag condition that determines when these feedback requests are sent. As mentioned previously, in their data, this would be determined by the 'date' tag in their sales file so another tag condition needs to be added to this trigger. To do this, click +AND.
- Complete the fields as before selecting a tag key of date and a value of start. Save the trigger.
- The campaign would now have one trigger that is run when campaign IS 12 month lease AND date IS start. The Feedback Preferences for this trigger would then be configured including customising the content of the feedback requests and feedback form. This completes the first of the 5 touchpoints.
As My Car Lease wants to send 5 different communications during the 12 month lease they would need to setup 4 more triggers all with the tag condition campaign of 12 month lease, but each trigger would also have a different 'date' tag condition, one each being '3 months', '6 months', '9 months' and 'end'. Once configured and saved, the full campaign setup would be as follows:
- The '12 month lease' campaign would now have 5 triggers. The customisation of the request timings, email content, SMS content (for merchants with Feefo SMS) and feedback form content would be determined by the Feedback Preferences for each trigger.
- To save all edits, click Save Campaign and then Back to Campaigns. To discard edits made to the campaign without saving, click Back to Campaigns and confirm that the edits won't be saved.
- Similar campaigns could then be setup for 18 month leases and 24 month leases giving My Car Lease a collection of 3 campaigns to cover all of their car lease terms.